Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A Japanese Heart


In a previous post I talked about my unpleasant encounter with a banana-pizza, a foreign dish turned upside down into something to suit the taste of the Japanese (and perhaps also curious foreign visitors). Until now I’ve kept my mouth shut about what I consider to be the worst smelling and tasting thing that you can come across in Japanese cuisine, natto. To get the image right, the English translation is fermented soy beans. In spite of the obvious drawbacks, like having a bad smell, the Japanese are generally fond of this thing which they put on their rice and spaghetti. And most foreigners can’t stand the smell let alone the taste.
During a wonderful BBQ I told a Japanese friend that I couldn’t bear eating natto which made him exclaim that it was really delicious and that it was a shame that I couldn’t appreciate it.
If I didn’t like natto I would never be able to have a Japanese heart. I told him I was not really in need of a second heart and would be quite happy with the one I have.
But it made me think back of my days in Fukuoka when I wished that I could blend in some more with the Japanese, not always being the foreigner. Of course classmates and my host family saw me in a different perspective than just a foreigner, but still that’s what you always were. In Kyoto there are so many foreigners that you more easily blend in the street life.
But for long-time residents the question of the Japanese heart or to be more specific the Japanese nationality still remains. No matter how long you live in Japan you are not able to get the Japanese citizenship and not able to vote in the elections. You always stay registered on your Alien Registration Card. The question becomes even more penile for children born out of marriages of mixed nationalities. Before reaching the age of 22 they have to decide whether or not they want to have the Japanese nationality or not. They have to make a choice between being Japanese or being the other nationality. There’s no middle road, you are not able to have two passports.
When I got home from the BBQ a package from the Netherlands had arrived and Saint Nicolas (Sinterklaas) had brought me loads of Dutch candy. The good old man was kind of early but he surely did make my Dutch heart jump up and down.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like natto. There is some local brand from kyoto which is quite mild. I think it is something like purple bamboo brand. By the way most people in western Japan hate natto. no need to like it.
You can become japanese, I know some people who did, and they can vote for who ever they want. That is not different from other countries. In the Netherlands, double nationality is also no longer wanted. Some countries don't allow you to abandon your nationality, only in that case you can have two. Else you have to choose as well. Have a better look at the situation in the Netherlands. Ooit van een inburgeringscursus in Japan gehoord? (alleen als je in NL wilt leven, niet eens de nationalitiet wil hebben) Heb jij meer dan 800 euro moeten betalen voor de aanvraag van een veredelde visum (mvv) om in Japan te komen wonen? Duurde jouw aanvraag 6 maanden? Moest jij prive foto's opsturen om te bewijzen dat jouw relatie met die japanner echt is, om hier heen te komen? Jij verdient geen 120% minimum loon als studente? Dan kan jouw echtgenoot jammer genoeg niet naar Nederland komen. Zulke onzin heeft men toch aleen in Nederland.

Pato

6:41 AM  
Blogger Aike said...

Good point Pato. When I was in Japan, I was surprised by the amount of paper work that had to be done. Alien registration card, bicycle registration, bank account, re-entry permit, working permit, insurance, etc. You probably know what I'm talking about. Bureaucracy oftentimes seems to have become the purpose, not a means; some sort of monster that wants to satisfy itself more and more and has forgotten why it's actually there. Japan seemed to be the most bureaucratic jungle around.

But I was wrong. The Netherlands are much worse, just like you said. A Japanese friend of mine studies at the Rietveld academy. She arrived in Holland in July and immediately applied for her residence permit (verblijfsvergunning). While I got my gaikokujintourokusho in Japan within a couple of days, she had to wait months and months. In the meantime, she couldn't open a bank account (I could open one in Japan before I had my card), got trouble paying her tuition fee, couldn't get a cell phone because she didn't have a bank account, didn't hear anything from the IND (probably the most fascist organisation in the country, but that's another topic). At least in Japan, the bureaucratics were usually friendly and willing to help; here they scold you when you even dare asking them how much longer you have to wait. Because how are they suppossed to know...?

Doesn't mean I disagree with Agnoek, though. It's pretty clear that Japan has a system that stresses an artificial border between those who are part of it and those who are not. Immigrants, children from mixed marriage, zainichi Asians, Brazilian Japanese... Groups that pose a threat to the dichotomy, so they are marginalized and largely ignored.

By the way, my brother in law's dog (kawaii no ni) has this terrible-smelling infection in his mouth.
Reminded me of natto.

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy Aike, you are still alive. Got a new blog? I miss your articles.
Of course I also agree with the general idea that japanese see people who are different... well... differently. But to say that you can not get the japanese nationality, just as my coworker and his entire family became Japanese, is a little strange statement that might lead other readers to think that that is actually the case, which it is not. The other points mentioned, yes they are unfair, but it is exactly the same or worse in the Netherlands.
Sure Koreans, burakumin etc. are still (by certain people) looked down upon. But how long have the Roma and Sinti been around in Europe? And the Diaspora, when was that?

http://www.vpro.nl/programma/tegenlicht/afleveringen/22372390/

Don't know if you have seen this, but if you havent't and have the time I strongly recommend.

got to run.

Pato

3:24 AM  
Blogger Aike said...

Hi Pato! Sorry I finished my weblog... I miss writing but right now I just don't have time to do it regularly.
I'll probably start a new weblog some time in the future; I'll let you know.

In the meantime I'm reading how you guys are doing 'back home' in Japan... Filled with natsukashii kimochi...!

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

En tempeh dan? Dat zijn toch ook gefermenteerde sojabonen? Hm waarschijnlijk is alles gefermenteerde sojaboon...

4:30 AM  
Blogger Agnoek said...

Jep, most likely tofu or tempeh are also some kind of fermented beans but they don't look that rotten nor do they have this wonderfull smell

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home